1887

wearevindico

The Institution formed a new lifeboat establishment at Burry Port, near Llanelly, and  placed there a large lifeboat, 37 feet long, 8 feet wide and rowing 12 oars.  This station became a necessity on the closure of the station at Pembrey due to the constant increase of sand there.  The cost of the station has been defrayed from a legacy bequeathed by the late Mrs J S Barclay of Edmonton and, in accordance with her wishes, the boat was named David Barclay of Tottenham after her late husband.  Lifeboat house cost £250 to construct, less allowance of £50 for old Pembrey lifeboat house.